The Freiburg Galaxy Team is looking for a Systems Engineer/DevOps Engineer!
The Freiburg Galaxy Team is looking for a Systems Engineer/DevOps Engineer to support our work on the web-based computational platform Galaxy. The Freiburg Galaxy Team offers the service usegalaxy.eu to biomedical and pharmaceutical researchers in Europe.
The engineer will be responsible for implementing, supporting, and documenting several large-scale application systems. This role includes, but is not limited to, the installation, modification, testing, and upgrades of applications, operating systems, file systems, hardware, and cloud environments. The work will be carried out together with other administrators.
Your opportunities This position will offer the postholder the opportunity to interact with an interdisciplinary bioinformatics, life science and software development team, working with cutting edge cloud infrastructure across Europe and engaged in advanced topics such as distributed heterogeneous computing, encrypted data processing or smart scheduling of jobs across federated resources.
- Administrate with a team of admins the European Galaxy server and a european wide distributed compute network
- Identify interdependence and productivity barriers between the development and operations functions;
- Identify opportunities to automate operations activities and/or to reduce process complexity;
- Design, implement, and maintain automation tool sets for configuration management, infrastructure and application deployment processes;
- Work within the team to design and improve developed software and deployment pipelines;
- Build internal and external contacts and participate in networks for the exchange of information and to form relationships for future collaborations;
Your Profile We are looking for a dedicated and motivated team player with strong communication skills and a good command of the English language. The successful applicant will be an expert Linux system administrator with a proficient knowledge of Python, Git and SQL databases.He/she is an analytical thinker, problem-solver and reliable, with a strong desire to learn and collaborate with the team.
Additional skills that are advantageous:
- Bachelor or Master in Informatics or equal qualification
- 5 years+ experience
- Experience building containerized applications
- Experience configuring continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) systems
- Proficiency using configuration management tools (Terraform, Ansible)
- Familiarity with cloud technologies (e.g. OpenStack)
- Experience on high-performance computing environments
What we offer Located in a region that connects Germany, France and Switzerland, our institute offers an international research environment with outstanding infrastructure facilities and a positive working atmosphere that places a high value on work-life balance.
- Salary according to your qualification and professional experience according to the German TV-L salary grading system
- A team of admins to work with
- Professional training and development opportunities
- Challenging tasks in European wide distributed projects in a modern working environment
- Flexible working hours and trust-based working time
- 30 days holiday a year
- Reduced-cost public transport within the local area
- Family-friendly offers (affiliated day care center at the institute, family service)
This position is open immediately and funded for two years, with the possibility of extension. More information about the European Galaxy project is available on https://galaxyproject.eu.
Ready to join our team? Please submit your complete application documents including a 1-page motivation summary, CV and contact details of referees by 22th August 2022 to email@example.com